Apply for a Certificate of Registration

If you own and operate a business that sells food then you'll need to apply for a Certificate of Registration.

Photo of mussels at a catered function

For an existing business which needs to renew a Certificate please download the application form (on the side of this page) and submit it to us.

Use our checklist to help you with your application.


  • It is an offence to operate the premises without a Certificate of Registration. Periodic inspection of the premises will be carried out to ensure requirements are being observed.
  • Certificates must be displayed in a public area in the premise where customers can easily read the certificate.

New Food Businesses:

Your first for registration as a food premise will need to consist of:

  1. A set of accurate plans and specifications.
  2. A completed “Application for Registration” form and payment of the establishment fee.


Included in your full set of scale plans should be an accurate layout plan of your premises showing the following details. 

  1. All rooms and their designation.  Areas may also be designated for example, dish wash area; vegetable preparation area.
  2. The position of all the appliances and fittings, such as preparation benches, shelving, cupboards, wash-hand basins, dishwashing machine, cooking appliances, refrigerator and freezer units, extract ventilation hoods.
  3. The position of incidental features such as yard areas, refuse storage area, staff and patrons toilets and staff changing areas.

For new premises:

You are strongly recommended to engage the services of an architect with previous experience in the development of food premises, which, in most cases, will hasten approval for the development.


Specifications of proposed construction materials, colours and finishes are essential.  They can either be included on the plan or in a separate specification sheet.

The information contained in the plans and specifications should enable our Environmental Health Officer, Building Inspector and Plumbing and Drainage Inspector to check that the proposed premise complies with the appropriate Regulations and Codes.

The Environmental Health Officer needs to be able to develop an idea of how the premises will operate.  It is also useful to indicate the type of menu that is envisaged as this may influence the kitchen design.

Please Note:  It is important in the establishment of a new premise that the site is suitable, and has sufficient space.  It must be able to accommodate provision of a Grease Trap and Extract Ventilation over cooking equipment and allow sufficient kitchen space for hygienic operation of the premises.


After the application is completed satisfactorily and near the date of completion and the proposed opening, the District Environmental Health Officer must be contracted to undertake a final inspection of the premises.

If the inspection reveals the premises is set up correctly in accordance with the development plans and complies fully with the Food Hygiene Regulations 1974, the premises can then be approved and a certificate of registration issued.

It is an offence to operate the premises prior to the issue of a Certificate of Registration.

Once the premises are registered, then periodic inspection of the premises will be carried out to ensure conduct and structural requirements are being observed.