Building Consents

TCDC building inspector

Building and Planning Consent Christmas Processing Times

Both the Building Act 2004 and the Resource Management Act 1991 stop the statutory processing clock over Christmas and New Year.

The period beginning 20 December and ending with the close of 10 January is excluded from the 20 working day time-frame which means that during these dates the processing clock stops.

Therefore any Resource or Building Consent submitted on or after Thursday 20 December 2018 will not be processed until Friday 11 January 2019 due to the Christmas/ New Year break.

If you want your Resource or Building Consent to be processed before Christmas (barring any further information requests which stop the processing clock), please submit prior to Thursday 22 November 2018.

We have moved our building consent applications to a new online system. Now you can apply anywhere, anytime and it's much easier and quicker than our old paper-based system.

Check our Online Building Consent Customer Guide

Use the "Building Applications Click here" button below to apply for:

  • Project Information Memorandum (PIM)
  • Building Consent (with or without a PIM)
  • Amendment to a Building Consent
  • Code Compliance Certificate
  • Certificate of Acceptance
  • Exemption from the need for Building Consent under Schedule 1(2)
  • Multiproof Building

If this is your first time applying you will need to create an account by using your email address.

Click to expand

Our Council is part of the Waikato Building Consent Group which provides consistent administration of building consents across the eight member councils.

More information on the Waikato Building Consent Group is available from their website (Build Waikato).

The Build Waikato website provides comprehensive information for anyone involved in a building project whether large or small and provides information including:

See our Building  Projects page for information on projects such as Alterations, Decks, Balconies and Verandahs, Fences and Retaining walls, Garages, Sleep-outs, Sheds, Heaters and Fireplaces for consent requirements and exempted works.

Note: All projects must comply with the District Plan and may require Resource Consent.  To check if you do, contact a Duty Planner by talking to our Customer Service team on 07 868 0200 or to arrange a meeting.

Also, look at our Buying or Selling a Property page for information on Land Information Memorandums, consent notices and more things to keep in mind when you're buying or selling.

How to get a Building Consent

Building work that requires a consent cannot be started until a building consent has been issued by TCDC.

To find out further information about the process visit the Build Waikato website.  

Submitting your application

All building consents are now submitted and processed online.  A fast, easy and convenient way to submit your application anytime from anywhere enabling you to also track your application. For further information on how to apply please click here

Fees for Bulding Consents

A lodgement fee/s is required and fee schedule can be viewed or downloaded here from the link on the right.  Fee payment can be made by internet banking and further details on how to do this can be located here.  

Processing your application

Once your application has been accepted, the statutory timeframe of 20 working days for processing begins.

If we require further information, the statutory 'clock' stops until we receive the full information needed.

We aim to process building consent applications within 20 working days.  .

2018 Jun 2018 Jul 2018 Aug 2018 Sep 2018 Oct 2018 Nov 2018
Building consents processed within 20 working days 100% 99% 98% 86% 85% 91%

Comparison to same period last year:

2017 Jun 2017 Jul 2017 Aug 2017 Sept 2017 Oct 2017 Nov 2017
Building consents processed within 20 working days 98% 98% 100% 100% 100% 100%

Complaints Policy

As a registered and accredited Building Consent Authority (BCA), our Council is required to have a BCA Complaints Policy. Feedback in the form of complaints provides opportunities for learning and improving services. We want to hear from you if you feel dissatisfied with any part of our service related to Building Consent processing or Inspection and issuing Code Compliance Certificates. View our BCA Complaints Policy here.

Other Useful Links