Consent Notices

If you’re considering buying newly subdivided land, you should check to see if there is a consent notice as it may have an impact on your plans

Consent Notices

A consent notice is registered against the Certificate of Title of a newly created lot. It specifies any conditions for new buildings on the land such as minimum floor levels or storm water disposal. Council does not always hold Certificates of Titles for every property and Consent Notices should be sourced from your lawyer or by contacting Land Information New Zealand.

Bush Covenants

What is a bush covenant?

A legal requirement for a property’s owner to protect and enhance its landscape and biodiversity in perpetuity. There are 266 covenants in Thames Coromandel covering 1500ha of land.

When should I check for one?

Before buying a property. Council does not always hold Certificates of Titles for every property and Covenants should be sourced from your lawyer.

What does it mean for the owner?

Your ability to develop the land is restricted by special conservation rules. You are responsible for taking care of and improving the property’s landscape and biodiversity for as long as you own it.

The Council carries out regular inspections to check compliance. You may be given actions to achieve by our next visit or enforcement action can be taken.

Why do we have Bush Covenants?

For the last 150 years, most of the Peninsula’s indigenous forest has been modified by human activity such as farming, logging and gold mining. Covenants are a way to conserve some of what’s left and assist the regeneration process. 60% of covenanted land is regenerating bush, which performs an important biodiversity “linkage” role. The rest is 22% mature forest, 9% coastal land, 6% planting and 1% wetland. Covenants also aim to protect unique species such as the endemic Archey’s frog, the Hochstetter frog, and the iconic North Island brown kiwi. Owners of covenanted land have a special role in preserving the Coromandel’s natural environment.


Owners and Council can prevent property from being rented out by establishing an encumbrance on the Certificate of Title in some instances.

What is a Memorandum of Encumbrance (MoE)?

An MoE establishes an independently habitable portion of a dwelling for use by family members and friends only. It requires that no part of the dwelling is separately rented, leased or used as traveller's accommodation.

What happens if I buy the property?

The Encumbrance will stay on the Certificate of Title even through the sale of a property.

As the new owner, you’d need to either endorse or alter the Memorandum to suit your purposes. To find out more, talk to a Duty Planner. Contact us on (07) 868 0200.