Getting started in the food business

When starting a food business or taking over an existing one, there's a lot you need to know.

It's important you are aware of the legal requirements and standards involved with registering and operating your food business.

Under the food laws most food businesses need to obtain a registration certificate before trading.

Key contacts before you get started:

Our advice is ensure you check out the feasibility and legalities of your proposal with the relevant Council departments:

  • In the first instance, please contact our Customer Services team with your enquiry.
  • Resource consent planning - for District Plan and RMA information about setting up a business at your chosen site
  • Building consent - for information about new buildings or making renovations to an existing building, fire safety requirements etc.
  • Environmental Health Officers for advice about food safety and registration, and the sale of alcohol.
  • Regulatory Services for advice about outdoor dining

When purchasing a new building or business it is recommended you obtain a Land Information Memorandum (LIM). This is a report on what the Council know about the land and buildings at your chosen site.

Please note before a food registration certificate can be isued, you'll need to ensure you have obtained all necessary consents and approvals e.g. Recource Consent (under the RMA), or Certificate of Compliance or a Code Compliance Certificate or Certificate of Public Use (under the Building Act) etc.

For more information visit the Ministry for Primary Industries (MPI)  New Zealand Food Safety | Haumaru Kai Aotearoa website here.