Subdivision Consents

If you are thinking about subdividing your land you will need to consider a number of factors.

These include:

  • The ability to provide services to the site such as power, water, sewer etc;
  • Whether safe access to the site  and appropriate car parking can be achieved;
  • Topographical constraints;
  • The size of the site;
  • The ability for each lot to comply with the relevant provisions contained in the district plan/s;
  • Natural hazards;
  • Whether there are any consent notices on your Certificate of Title, such as easements or covenants etc that may restrict the nature or extent of any further development on the lot. 

Minimum site size for subdivision

The minimum site size for subdivision depends on the zoning of the property, to find out what zone your site is located in go to the SMART Maps Portal

For example in the Residential Zone the minimum net lot area for a front lot is 400m² and 500m² for a rear lot. Net Lot Area means the lot area excluding any vehicle access strip or right-of-way easement.

For subdivision rules go to Part VII - Section 38 of the Proposed District Plan.  Please note that if any objective/policy/rule is highlighted in red this indicates that particular objective/policy/rule is still currently under appeal, if this applies to your project the equivalent Operative District Plan objective/policy/rule will also apply which is located in Section Seven of the Operative District Plan. When there is a conflict between rules, policies and/or objectives of the two District Plans the more onerous of the two applies. 

The Subdivision Process

An application for subdivision consent includes all the same requirements as a land use resource consent application but will also require a scheme plan to be drawn up by a licensed cadastral surveyor.  Specialist reports may also be requested by the planning officer assigned to your application, though this is dependent on the level of subdivision you are planning on undertaking. 

Approved subdivision consents will generally have a number of conditions that may need to be met and further approvals may be required from departments such as building and engineering. 

To apply for a subdivision consent please refer to our forms page.

Engineering Requirements

The Council's engineering standards can be found in the Thames-Coromandel District Council Code of Practice for subdivision and development

Sections 223 and 224c approval

Obtaining your section 223 certification from Council demonstrates that your survey plan is in accordance with your approved resource consent. The Council's section 224 certification confirms that all of the conditions of your subdivision consent have been met. This approval enables Land Information New Zealand to issue new titles. You need to make a separate application to Council for your sections 223 and 224 certifications.  These processes can be done separately or together.  

Development Contributions are payable at section 224 stage.

Subdivision Timeframes

The below lists indicates the steps you will need to take to obtain 224 certification

  • Application documentation is compiled including the plans that have been prepared by a cadastral surveyor;
  • Application is lodged with council;
  • s104 -   Approval to subdivide is granted;
  • s223 -   Survey plan is approved by council. This must be applied for within five years of s104 approval;
  • s224c - All conditions of the subdivision application have been met. This must be applied for within three years of s223 approval.  Once obtained the plans can be deposited with Land Information New Zealand.

Subdivision Costs

The overall process of subdividing involves a number of different costs, some of which council does not administer.  The following is a list of costs involved in the subdivision process:

  • Surveyor costs, you may need to consult with a surveyor to get a clear indication of their costs
  • Subdivision Deposit fees, 223 and 224c process, the overall cost from council will be dependent on the scale of the project;
  • Specialist report costs (such as landscaping, engineering, planning consultant etc);
  • Land Information New Zealand (LINZ) costs
  • Cost of providing infrastructure to the lots such as water, wastewater, sewerage, electricity, and telecommunications 
  • Development Contributions