Weather update #3 4 Jan 1.00pm 04 January 2018 (Image: Metservice's rain forecast for this evening indicates heavy rainfall) MetService is forecasting heavy rain and gale north-easterlies for the Coromandel from early this afternoon into tomorrow morning. Our Emergency Operations Centre has been set up to monitor this weather event and keep an eye out for flooding and slips. A rapidly deepening low approaching New Zealand is expected to drop 100-150mm of rain over the Coromandel between 1pm today and 1am tomorrow, with peak intensities of 20-30mm/h, especially from the evening. North-easterly winds are expected to become severe from this evening until dawn tomorrow, gusting to 120km/h in exposed places. We are monitoring reports of various drains filling and flooding due to the rainfall and high tide this morning. The Kauaeranga River level is expected to be super-high and we also expect higher than normal sea levels around our wharfs due to king tides. This combination of strong winds and king high tides in conjunction with the heavy rain may also cause coastal flooding at streams and rivers, including in the Firth of Thames. Surface flooding is expected across the Coromandel in the usual areas that flood, so please take care and try to stay clear of low-lying areas if you're camping. Kauaeranga Visitor Centre has advised us due to weather warnings they have closed the Pinnacles Hut and are strongly advising customers and campers to vacate the Kauaeranga Valley. The high tides are due at: WhitiangaThursday 4 Jan at 21:33Friday 5 Jan at 10:10 and 22:28 ThamesThursday 4 Jan at 22:03Friday 5 Jan at 10:37 and 22:57 Check MetService for the latest weather forecasts as this weather system develops. "This is looking like it will be a short, sharp weather event that will pack a punch," says Garry Towler, our Civil Defence Controller. A video update Mr Towler is available here. Waikato Regional Council has set up an online hub for rainfall and flood related information to help people more easily keep up to date with severe weather events in the region. It can be found at waikatoregion.govt.nz/flood-room We will post regular updates on our Council's Facebook page as well as on our website and email newsletters. We'll also include updates on known local Council road closures here. If you see a Council road that is impassable due to flooding or a debris, call us on 07 868 0200. If the issue is with a State Highway (eg, the Thames Coast Road, Kopu-Hikuai Road) please tell NZ Transport Agency on 0800 4 HIGHWAYS (0800 44 44 49) to speak to the call centre team who can also provide traffic and travel information. Check NZTA's website before you travel for the latest information about road closures or work underway. You can also use their journey-planning website www.onthemove.govt.nz to plan the best route for your journey, taking into account known issues and traffic on state highways. To report a power outage, contact Powerco. And, although we're in for heavy rain, we still have a Total Fire Ban in place until at least 8 February, which includes bonfires and fireworks. See www.tcdc.govt.nz/fire for more information. The rain should help replenish reservoirs and water tanks, but we're still facing water restrictions due to high use and also filtering sediment and silt that will be coming through from this weather event. We will be reassessing the reservoir levels within the next 24 hours to see if restrictions need to be changed. See what restrictions apply on our website www.tcdc.govt.nz/water. Events Sol3 Mio is moving by one day to tomorrow to Friday 5 January. The venue and timings otherwise remain the same and all tickets issued for today's show are valid for the new date. Gates open at 5pm, show starts at 6pm and concludes at 8.45pm. If patrons are unable to attend the new date they should contact the ticketer from whom tickets were purchased in order to apply for a refund. The Colour Splash in Whangamata has been cancelled as well as the Matarangi Beach summer festival events for today and tomorrow. Pauanui Summer Series, The King of Tangi will now be held Sunday 7 January instead of tomorrow. All other events are going ahead as scheduled at this stage and MetService is forecasting finer weather after the low passes on Friday. Check our What's on in the Coromandel listing for updates on events.